✪ Stroke animations for 2000 kanji (double tap sticky to activate). Not just vector based line drawings (as is very common in kanji apps) but “brush style” movies. In other words, the kind of characters Japanese people would actually write.. if they were very, very good. Thanks to Satoru Shinagawa and all his hard work.
✪ Flag stickies for later reference (turns blue)
✪ Change a stickies’ level by tapping the mini cards (browse view)
✪ Adjust the difficultly level when studying
✪ Japanese localization
✪ School grade 1-6 data files
✪ A few tweaks and bug fixes
Finished, currently in testing. Due January, 2011
Just to win back favour, I added a bonus feature that I was preparing for v1.7 - example compound kanji on each sticky (see screen shot below). These compounds (words) are taken from the JLPT data set so you won’t get any bizarre “out there” Japanese words that you’ll never actually need.
- [Added] Move, copy and delete groups of stickies between files (list view).
- [Added] New easy study option (pass = -1 instead of reseting to red) (study view)
- [Added] On the study screen, the number of times studied has been replaced with total time studied.
- [Added] “Restore file to original” option in study view
- [Changed] Switching views (Browse, Study, History) is generally faster
- [Changed] Updated iPad UI (the file selector)
- [Changed] iPad can now launch in landscape
- [Changed] Other minor UI changes
- [Fixed] "Full size sticky view" code rewrite; more reliable, less memory hungry
- [Fixed] Scroll bar appearing at incorrect times
- [Fixed] Flickering/partial filename showing in title bar bug (iPad)
- Other minor bugs fixes
Remember, if you don’t tell me about bugs/ideas, I’ll probably never know. Available in a week or so.
✪ New examples view with hiragana readings (furigana).
✪ New study algorithm - recycles “Passed” stickies more often.
✪ Option menus slightly re-organised.
✪ “Studied:” text in study view sometimes not updating. Fixed.
✪ Wider toolbar in browse view on the iPad.
✪ “JLPT4 Vocab” correction: Handbag -> Hamburger (needs reinstall).
Available in a week or two.
The next version of Kanji Pro (v1.4) will have a new “Perfect” button when studying. One press, and the sticky is elevated to green utopia and never asked again.
(A bit of revision for you. Stickystudy relies on the idea of colours. Each time you answer a sticky correctly it changes gradually from lowly “red” to the lofty heights of “green”. Once a sticky is answered correctly four times it becomes green and is never asked again. Also, the more you answer a sticky correctly, the further into the future you are asked the next time - just to make sure you haven’t forgotten. Revision over. Well done.)
I’ve updated some code to help in this area which will be released in the next v1.4 update. Also, I’ve included an option to reduce memory size by 25% with the caveat of making zoom a little less zoomy. On the plus side, redraws should be a little faster for large files.
To set, you simply enter a date when you’d like to complete a file (for example, an exam date) and it will work out the rest for you. Interruptions, lazy “not in the mood” days and “high-caffeine-can’t-stop-learning-kanji” days automatically adjust your progress.
Any ideas gratefully received.
As of now, only Kanji Lite has appeared in the app store with the new, updated colours. The other 3 will follow shortly.
How does it run? Coming from the iPhone version, the difference in screen real estate is a bit of shock - you can clearly make out the 1945 Joyo Kanji on one screen without even zooming. Scrolling is nice and smooth (in tile and list view) and screen redraws are about 2 or 3 times faster.
The new version has a few kanji corrections in the data files but these will only be seen on a fresh install because your statistics for each sticky are stored in the same file - if I update your files, I’ll erase your stats. I thought it best not to do that.
Note: Only Kanji Pro will be made universal.
I have no intention of separate iPad/iPhone versions so it’s all good for those who’ve already taken the plunge. I’ll keep you posted.
My time this month has been absorbed by bug fixing and “tweaks”. Fingers crossed, things have settled down a little and I can start adding features.
I’ve also added a new feature called “Colour background view” which makes it easier to see the colour of the sticky when you’re fully zoomed out.
- [Added] Two line examples instead of single line
- [Fixed] Multitasking related bug
- [Fixed] "Last time asked" date error
- [Fixed] Display bugs caused by low memory under certain circumstances.
- [Fixed] Choosing "X Large" question in options (tile view) now disables answer option.
- [Added] Delete file function.
- [Added] Study timer. Pauses when multitasking.
- [Added] "Number of stickies" displayed next to all files, not just the selected one.
- [Changed] Examples are now randomly chosen.
- [Changed] When swiping a sticky left and right (in single sticky view), the lower 5 icons remain stationary.
- [Changed] Splash screen (toned down).
It usually takes a week before becoming available. Thanks for your support!
If you really want to get started in Japanese, this is what you need. Details.